Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sketchings.

I recently filled in the last page of yet another sketchbook, so I went a lookin' for a new one. I picked up one of the many on my "little table of framed drawings, loose paper and other art crap" and, since it seemed empty, wrote, "Doodlebook '09" in the beginning along with the date. 

But. 

Upon flipping though said book, I discovered that still three of four older drawings remained. (I pulled them out for storage somewhere else, except for one, which is actually exceptionally nice I will keep in the book) I looked though them, and found a very old incarnation of my character Threes, who if you're reading you've probably heard of but I'll link the name anyway. The sketch in question was a half-done picture of Threes back in was still a neopet, and from the look of it, probably draw between this and this. 
I decided that I liked it enough to draw over the lines and fix'er up a little. 
So, courtesy of my webcam,

Sorry the photo is so awful. 

On a separate but related topic, I noticed how much my style has changed and improved. Take these examples. 

This (above) is another old drawing from the sketchbook. (Note the lack of face) 

This is a recent drawing of a friends character. (Note the lack of eyes) 

These just happened to be sitting closest to me. 
The first thing I noticed between the two is the difference in the lines. In the first one the lines are very light and careful, but in my more recent drawing I'm much more scribbly, but the drawing itself seems much fuller. 
I've definitely improved with angle, pose and anatomy (and I draw faces now, sorta) and there's more weight in the recent one, but I kind of like the lightness of the first. 


~Leer

No comments: