Thursday, March 5, 2009

Typing of Writing (Part 1)

Ugh. Sorry it's been so long since a post. Things been crazy. 

Well, this note was going to be called, "Speaking of Writing" but... I'm not. There are no words coming out of my mouth. My vocal chords are not in use. I think you get it.   Anyway, speaking of writing I've been having a hard time with it, lately. So let's so the sensible thing and type out how and why I have succeeded and failed in writing before.

Let's start with...  
The Murder Fantastic

My 50-page novella, this is the longest single piece of writing I have ever done. It's really a short character study of the character Threes.  Threes is a long-standing character of mine, starting out as virtual pet on a website and evolving into a human.  Threes, in essence, hasn't changed much. He did start out more comedic then he ended up, in the beginning he was a kind of insane jester, complete with the hat. Over two years he has become much darker, a homicidal sociopath with a complicated history that is yet to be written. I had been creating the themes of TMF for quite a while, I knew Threes had lost his lover/wife and the idea of his setting had been quite the same for a while.  The intro to the story I had written about two months before I began the story itself, and the scene launched me into the rest of the chapter, and after that into the rest of the book.  Threes was a pre-planned character, long-standing and extremely developed. I count TMF as on of the best things I will ever write.

Next,
A Valentine's Pony 

AVP is the story of the twins Dana Worslov and Demetri Karlen, and their twisted relationship.  In contrast to TMF, AVP was written in very short amount of time and Dana and Demetri were developed in even less time.  Dana and Demetri were inspired mainly by my teacher saying (in reference to another story of mine) "Well, she could hang out with germans, that might be fun."  Yeah. That's the truth.  That kind of got an idea forming in my head of two loud, tall, blond people. These became Dana and Demetri, and after introducing them as side characters in the other story, I started forming the idea for their own story in my head.  And then I wrote it. In under two weeks.  I don't know why or how but I did.  They were just two people who's story needed to be written.   Inspiration   These two stories were inspired by two very different circumstances, Threes being a character who was completely developed, Dana and Demetri's personalties coming together within the story.

I don't know why I could finish these two stories but not any others. (Not yet, at least)
I did something right in both of these stories, and in Part 2 I'll (hopefully) write about what I might've done wrong with the others. 

~Leerlove.

No comments: